Academy Member Inducted 2010Map & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: District of Columbia, New YorkOther ADR Services: Mini-Trial Judge
Primarily engaged as independent arbitrator and adjunct law professor. Previously engaged as a partner at Edwards Wildman (now Locke Lord) in litigation/arbitration practice as a trial attorney and arbitrator for over 30 years, with approximately equal experience in international and domestic arbitration and litigation involving complex business disputes (70%). The practice focus was on complex contractual, corporate, investment, intellectual property (e.g., patent license and trade secrets), and other business disputes, typically involving diverse industries, such as telecommunications, life sciences, computer software, aerospace/military, logistics, energy supply, entertainment (e.g., music), apparel/fashion, and manufacturing (e.g. plastics, jewelry, food), as well as many other areas of business activity (e.g., supply/ distribution/partnership/franchise). Domestic and foreign clients ranged from large New York Stock Exchange listed companies to small venture backed start-ups and individuals. Additional experience as counselor and in transactions (30%). Counseling experience has typically involved manufacturers, as well as cross-border joint ventures and private equity/venture capital/collective investment, often times for foreign clients, in various industries and locales in the U.S. and around the world. Listed repeatedly in "America's Best Lawyers" in International Arbitration and on the "Tech List" of the Silicon Valley Arbitraiton and Mediation Center..
Alternative Dispute Resolution Experience Member of or listed by the AAA Commercial, Large Complex Case,Life Science and International Panels; CPR; BCIAC; CIETAC; SCIA; SHIAC; HKIAC; ICC; KCAB; AIAC (Kuala Lumpur) and WIPO; and experience in ad hoc arbitrations. Selected as a neutral arbitrator, frequently as panel chair, in an array of large and complex cases, split between domestic and international. Presided over dozens of trials in recent years with billions of dollars in total either claimed as damages or at issue through declaratory judgment actions. Presided as chair on about 40 cases and as wing arbitrator in 40 plus cases, including as party nominated arbitrator, along with extensive experience as sole arbitrator in over 60 cases.
NOTABLE ARBITRATOR EXPERIENCE as sole arbitrator, wing or chair in over 140 cases, includes presiding over disputes involving: six to ten figure contractual claims, including allegations of fraud, misappropriation and other standard types of business tort claims, in diverse industries ranging from aerospace, telecommunications, energy to private equity investment, including hedge fund, venture capital, partnership (e.g., real estate) and shareholder disputes as well as privitization; to product development, marketing, logistics and shipping ; manufacturing, distribution and supply, as well as global branding of foreign and domestic products, including apparel/fashion/accessories, food, weapons/explosives, software and chips; consumer goods, etc; consulting/services contracts; franchise (e.g.. food; private education); entertainment (e.g., sports and movies); and restrictive covenants (including in acquisition contexts) . Presided on over 60 cases through trial and issued over 70 reasoned awards.
- Arts (Fine/Performing)
- Banking & Finance
- Civil Rights
- Contract Disputes
- Cross Cultural
- Eminent Domain
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Entertainment Sector
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Libel & Slander
- Media & Communications
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Railroad & Trucking
- Real Estate
- Shareholder Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- Venture Capital
- Adjunct Professor of International Arbitration -- Boston College Law School (1989 to date)
- Adjunct Professor of International Arbitration -- Boston University Law School (ELLM Program) (2011 to date)
- Nomura Lecturer in law on International Arbitration -- Harvard Law School (2005) and guest lecturer 1994-95 (International Litigation); 1998 and 2006
- Adjunct Professor of International Law of Busness Transactions -- Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy (2007)
- Adjunct Professor of National Security Law at Boston University Law School 2001-2009 and at Boston College Law School in 1988
- Adjunct Professor of American Foreign Policy and International Banking -- Boston University Law School (LLM Program) (1991)
- Co-Lecturer in Field Studies on Entrepreneurial Management -- Harvard Business School 1984.
- Adjunct Research Fellow Center for Science and International Affairs Kennedy Schoolk of Government Harvard University (1983-87)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators ("CCA")
- Chartered Arbitrator and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London, England
- Co-Chair of Board of Directors of Boston Intenrational Arbitration Council
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation (selection limited to the top 1/3 of the top 1% of the American Bar Association Membership)
- Member of the American Branch of the International Law Association [American representative to the International Arbitration Committee and past chairman of the American Branch's Arbitration Committee (1985 - 1989)]
- Co-Chair of the American Bar Association International Section National Security Law Committee (2016-2019)
Please call for details.